an idle mind and a fine city...

Monday, April 09, 2007

Pulau Tioman and Seasickness

Pulau Tioman: A stunningly scenic island off the coast of Malaysia and washed by the South China Sea lies Tioman Island. This is the largest and most spectacular of Peninsular Malaysia's east coast islands measuring 39km long and 12km wide. The island is covered in dense jungle and High Mountain peaks.

Seasickness: Motion sickness resulting from the pitching and rolling of a ship or boat in water, especially at sea.




On good friday, KT and I decided to go to the island of Tioman (Pulau Tioman) in Malaysia along with two of our colleagues. It was a very long drive from the fine city to Mersing Jetty and from there we have to take a 4-hour ferry ride. Thanks to the guy who sold JT the tickets and told us that the ferry ride only takes 1.5 hours!
When we reached the island at nearly 4pm, we quickly checked into out small beachfront hut and ate lunch at the nearest restaurant.
Then we walked around the small area in search of fun things to do for the next day. We have an option to dive or island hopping and snorkling. We chose to dive.
The next morning, KT and I skipped breakfast before diving as KT always gets seasick on the boat. At 930am we boarded the boat. The waves are quite strong and the boat is moving a lot while I try to rig up my diving equipment. This led to me being seasick (for the 1st time!) the whole trip. I started to throw up but nothing came out as I did not eat anything for breakfast. When it was time to dive I cannot go down the water (i think my weights are not enough) as well as KT so we just decided to go back to the boat and endured long minutes of seasickness. When it was time for SI, i tried to go into the water and do some snorkling to get rid of my seasickness but it didn't work. We diecided not to do the second dive and the boat took us back to land. Once on land my seasickness faded away. I really felt bad that I have to cancel a dive because I got seasick! And I never get seasick - this is my first time. Then I can hear my mommy saying "Patay ang Diyos ngayon (God is dead today)" whenever we are in Baguio on Black Saturday and we wanted to go down to La Union beacause there's not much to do. I guess that's what we get for diving on Black Saturday.
For the rest of the day we just stayed at the hut, went to the beach, played uno and eat. Early the next morning we started our journey back to the fine city.

Today, when I went online, I searched seasick and diving online and found out that I got seasick not because it's black saturday, it's because we did not eat anything for breakfast! On the boat I kept thinking why I got seasick. Now I know why. I read in one forum that it's better to eat before you board the boat than not to eat because if you get sick once you throw up it will be over. But if you don't eat, you will be sick all day! Now even just writing and thinking about Tioman makes me seasick!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home